Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 1: Denver Trip (Thursday, Sept 22, 2011)

I have been home from this motorcycle trip for almost a year now, and thought it was about time I post up a report of this trip.  Hopefully I can remember enough of the trip.

My GPS on my phone was acting up so the stats on this trip weren't entirely accurate.  But they are close enough.

All packed up and ready to go



Odometer at the beginning of the trip




I ended up leaving about 10:00 am.  Up until this time I was pretty excited about the trip.  I had had moments of apprehension, but for the most part I was pretty confident I could do it.  Right as I was about to leave I got really nervous and I know Kristin was pretty nervous.  But once I got on the road the excitement came back and the nervousness fled.

My destination for the day was Gooseneck St. Park in the South East corner of Utah.  I was planning on camping there for the night and then continuing on to Denver on Fri.

I drove from Lehi, around the west side of Utah lake and then joined up with I-15 in Mona.  I then drove down I-15 to Nephi and through the canyon down through Manti.


Manti Temple



Stopping for lunch in Gunnison



I hadn't realized that my route took me right through Capital Reef Nation Park which was really amazing to see from a motorcycle.  

Just outside Capital Reef National Park



By the time I reached Hanksville, I was pretty tired.  I think the lack of sleep the last couple of days were taking their toll.  

I drove down close to Lake Powell and a few times caught a glimpse of the water.  This is the first time I have seen Lake Powell and hope to plan a vacation there some day.

Views of Lake Powell





It got dark about an hour before I reached the campsite.  It really wouldn't have been too bad except for a pretty scary section where the road turned to dirt and had tight switchbacks down the face of a cliff.  I couldn't see how far you would drop if you went off the edge, and it's probably good that I couldn't see.

I found some pictures of this road from another motorcycle ride report here.




I made it safely to the campsite and found a spot to set up my tent.  There were a few other people there but it wasn't that crowded.  I was camping at gooseneck St. park.  It was free to camp and from pictures I had seen online, it looked like a neat place.  As it was pretty dark I couldn't see much but I'll take a look in the morning.

I called Kristin and talked to her for awhile.  It was nice to be able to sit and relax for a minute.  It was already close to 10 pm, so I thought I had better get to bed.  I wanted to get a good nights rest as I was exhausted.

I didn't mind so much the traveling by myself except for the times when I stopped to eat, etc... Those were the times I felt lonely, but I would call Kristin to help with that.

It was too dark to get pictures that night, but here is a picture when I got up the next morning and it was still pretty dark.

Camp at Gooseneck St Park



Actual route for day 1:




Stats for day 1:

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I am glad you are documenting it all. I am also sad you don't have more pictures. You have a great memory for doing this all a year later. I am sure this will get you excited for your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete