Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 3: Denver Trip (Saturday, Sept 24, 2011)

Today is the third and final day of the trip.  I plan to drive home today.  We were up kind of late last night so I didn't get on the road as early as I would have liked.  But I did end up leaving around 8:30.

After getting out of downtown I headed onto I-70.  The traffic was pretty light and it was a nice drive.

I turned up on highway 9 towards Steamboat Springs.  This section of highway was actually really cold.  I put several more layers on and was still pretty cold.  The colors were starting to turn which made for a nice drive.

Somewhere around Kremmling


I think that was the only picture I took of the ride home.  I was pretty exhausted and just wanted to get home.

I stopped for lunch in Steamboat springs.  The weather was really nice.  Right before pulling off the freeway a bee flew into the cuff of my jacket and stung my wrist.  I was nervous because the last time I was stung by a bee was when I was a little kid and I was slightly allergic and my throat had started to swell.  Luckily I didn't have any negative side effects this time.

After lunch I continued on Hwy 40 towards Vernal.  This was a long lonely stretch of road that was really boring.  After several days on the bike, it was getting hard to ride more than about an hour before my rear end would get sore and I would have to stop.

I got to Vernal and had some dinner.  The sun was getting low in the sky and I was pretty exhausted.  I still had 3 hrs to go and I didn't know if I could make it.

But after getting some food I set out towards home.  I was passing Strawberry reservoir just as the sun was setting and it really was one of the most spectacular sights I have ever seen.  I should have stopped to get some pictures but I was worried about riding through the canyons in the dark and wanted to keep moving.  Now I wish I had some pictures.

I continued on towards Heber and by this time it was dark.  I then went through Provo Canyon and on to I-15.  I pulled into the garage a little after 9:00 glad to be home.

Ending Mileage



So it looks like the trip was 1,358 mi in 3 days.  So that is an average of 450 miles each day.  The days seemed kind of long especially on the type of bike that I have.  I think in the future I plan to go less miles each day.


Day 3 Route



Day 3 Stats


No comments:

Post a Comment